These Buffalo Tempeh Sandwiches are stuffed with crispy baked tempeh buffalo tenders, creamy ranch slaw, tomatoes, and avocado!
But the thing with tempeh is, you have to do something with it. Like chickpeas plain, fine, throw them on a salad, it’s okay. But with tempeh that just won’t work. Tempeh recipes require a little coaxing to come out of its shell. But when it does, it’s a game changer.
Case in point, these Buffalo Tempeh Sandwiches. Crispy (from baking) and packed with buffalo sauce flavor, it’s the epitome of healthy(ish) comfort food.
Buffalo Tempeh Sandwich Ingredients
- Buffalo Tempeh Tenders: Transfer tempeh into a crispy, buffalo packed tender, then plop it on a sandwich like the stuff of vegetarian bar food dreams. Get the recipe for the tempeh tenders here (30 minutes to make).
- Buns: Any bread will really work here, but I like to use something sturdy that will hold up well to all of our fillings! Head to the fresh baked bakery aisle and looks for some buns to use here.
- Coleslaw: Any variety of shredded coleslaw will do. We’ll combine it with the ranch to create a creamy crunch!
- Ranch Dressing: My favorite way to tame the buffalo flames? Ranch dressing! (Feeling adventurous? Try this homemade Kefir Ranch Dressing or this vegan Tofu Ranch Dressing)
- Your favorite veggies: Tomatoes, avocado, cucumber…anything goes!
How to make these tempeh sandwiches
Step 1: Make The Tempeh Tenders
Prepare the Buffalo Tempeh Tenders (15 minutes hands-on work, 15 minutes baking).
Step 2: Ranch Slaw
Meanwhile, stir together the coleslaw and ranch.
Step 3: Assemble
When tenders are hot from the oven, spoon ranch slaw onto each bun, followed by tomatoes, tempeh tenders, and sliced avocados.
- Buffalo Tempeh Tenders click for recipe
- 4 buns or bread rolls
- 2 cups coleslaw
- ½ cup ranch dressing 120 g
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- Tenders: Prepare the Buffalo Tempeh Tenders (15 minutes hands-on work, 15 minutes baking).
- Ranch Slaw: Meanwhile, stir together coleslaw and ranch.
- Assemble: When tenders are hot from the oven, spoon ranch slaw onto each bun, followed by tomatoes, tempeh tenders, and sliced avocados.